GRAND RAPIDS PRIDE CENTER LGBTQ YOUTH GROUP
FACILITATOR POSITION DESCRIPTION (AGES 13-17)
POSITION: LGBTQ Youth Group Facilitator
HOURS/DATES: 20 hours each month
- 7:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m. every Wednesday of the month
RESPONSIBILITIES: Provide active support and guidance during LGBTQ Youth Group meetings
FACILITATOR DESCRIPTION: Effectively construct and facilitate a safe and supportive atmosphere for all group members to discuss topics related to LGBTQ issues, as well as provide resources when applicable to the needs of group members. Being specifically aware of the needs of LGBTQ Youth.
The facilitator will be responsible for co-facilitating (with another individual) social support groups within the community for LGBTQ Youth. Facilitators are expected to provide a safe, structured environment for discussing topics related to LGBTQ issues and to address specific needs, or concerns of all group members.
1. During regular support groups (see facilitation tip sheet):
- Establish and maintain group rules, especially confidentiality among members
- Create and maintain a safe and respectful environment for members to freely share their thoughts, feelings, concerns, experiences, etc.
- Facilitate participation by respectfully monitoring speaking time and encouraging input from all who are present
- Maintain primary focus on members and members needs
- Build a community among members
- Raise appropriate awareness and refer members to necessary resources
2. Prepare relevant informational materials for each meeting
3. Facilitators are expected to attend each meeting fifteen minutes prior to start time and stay for the entire duration of each meeting; facilitators are expected to stay for clean-up and until all teens are picked up.
4. It is expected that each facilitator participate for at least two years
5. Facilitators are expected to display a willingness to follow Grand Rapids Pride Center policies and procedures (see documentation)
6. Display an understanding of and sensitivity to not only LGBTQ Youth, but the LGBTQ community as a whole.
7. Facilitators should have the ability to be flexible within a growing, diverse, team orientated group
8. Prior experience working with the LGBTQ community is a requirement.
- Every facilitator must complete a criminal background check.
- Each facilitator must be at least 21 years old
- with an applicable bachelor’s degree or other equivalent work experience*
- Must identify with the population being served.
- Complete all training's offered by Grand Rapids Pride Center.
- Consistent commitment to be present at all group meetings (at least 75%), or immediately notify operations manager of changes.
- Ability to collaborate with another facilitator as a team member.
- Possesses the ability to effectively present information.
- Possesses the ability to practice sensitivity regarding diversity i.e. ethnicity, religion, socioeconomic status, etc.
- Prior experience working with LGBTQ Youth (age 13-17) population is preferred.
- Facilitator experience is needed within the scope of counseling, social services, psychology, social work, education, or other applicable areas of study.
- Facilitators are expected to meet with the program coordinator at least once a month to discuss information pertaining to group meetings and other qualifying information.